Without Action, Dreams Remain As Dreams
“And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions. Even on the male and female servants in those days I will pour out my Spirit.”
The Holy Spirit is poured out upon humanity in order that he may conceive the visions of God’s kingdom; a world free of injustice, where there is no tears and sorrow and where people live in prosperity and longetivity. All who love and obey Christ will receive the dreams and power of the Spirit to realize the prosperity of God’s kingdom in their world. They will prosper in all their endeavors and live fulfilling lives. In the previous articles, we discuss the importance of discipline which helps us focus on the tasks at hand without being overwhelmed by the complexities of the future. There is the disciplines of the thought life and the emotional life. Then there is the disciplines of the physical body without which dreams remain as dreams. In order for dreams to come true, dreams must lead to concrete actions and over time, we will reap the results.
And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh… Even on the male and female servants in those days I will pour out my Spirit – The Spirit selectively anoints men and women of the Old Testament giving them dreams of a better world and empowering them to realize it. The Spirit that was meant only for a few esteemed ones is now released to all believers regardless of their genda (your sons and your daughters), age (old men… young men), and status (male and female servants). As the Holy Spirit is poured out on all flesh, all believers are now anointed with the same power that once belongs only to kings and prophets.
Your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions – Dreams and visions refers to in a broader sense a new world order that God has envisaged for humanity. Every person will be able to perceive the dreams of the Spirit and their role in making a better world. In adopting the dreams of the Spirit the believer may be motivated in fulfilling their part of it. Hence, the more the believer loves God and obeys Him, the more he could perceive and adopt the Spirit’s dreams as his own. In the pursuit of his Spirit-inspired dreams, he finds meaning in life as he endeavors to accomplish his calling.
Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy – The act of prophesying involves the tongue taking on the life of the Spirit and speaking His words. The tongue is the first organ of the human body that is given over to the influence of the Spirit. By the words of a person, one can conclude if God’s kingdom is near or far away. In other words, the tongue is the bridge between what is merely a dream and the reality of God’s kingdom; it functions as a transition point from dream to reality. Put in a nutshell, before a dream becomes reality, the tongue must first prophesy it. As the tongue yields to the influence of the Spirit, the rest of the physical body will begin to agree and align itself to the utterances of the tongue, and subsequently the kingdom of God will materialize.
- As believers learn to conduct their lives for the benefit of others, they will begin to conceive the dreams of the Spirit. In order for the believer to conceive the dreams of the Spirit, he must first deny his own dreams and desires; he must be willing to give his life in exchange for the realization of a better world. For such, the Spirit will create opportunities by putting him at the right place and at the right time so that he may rise to the position of influence. Man may seize opportunities that come his way, but only God can create opportunities and cause man to recognize genuine opportunities when they appear. For those who desire to conceive the dreams of the Spirit, they must first regenerate their hearts to love God and to love others.
- Believers must discipline their physical bodies by declaring with their tongue God’s Kingdom into reality. The disciplines of the thought life and the emotional life must necessarily lead to the discipline of the physical body. If the body does not act upon a dream, then a dream remains a dream. For many, procrastination is like a disease that paralyzes their bodies hindering them from taking the first step towards fulfilling their dreams. However, the Spirit provides a way in that in causing the tongue to first verbalize the realization of God’s will, the believer takes the first step bringing him closer to the goal. In prophesying the will of God with our tongue, our bodies will in turn align itself to the words we speak. And subsequently, our physical world will start to be transformed according to the actions we take. Do not be overwhelmed by the complexities of the problems at hand, start by prophesying over yourself a new you that is after the image of Christ and the rest will follow.
- It does not matter if your dream is small or big. As the Spirit is the author of the dream, it will result into something very big. Jesus conceived a dream of raising up the 12 disciples, and that little dream turned the world upside down. Perhaps, you could start with a small dream, a dream of a new you; having a body that is healthy, and being affable and positive. Then extent that dream into your family and your work place.
- Start the day by prophesying to yourself by looking into the mirror and say, “You will be bold and courageous today to face any problems that may come. You will be wise in all that you say and do. You will be quick to listen and slow to speak. There will not be a problem that would arise without a solution in sight. I believe I could do all things through Jesus who strengthens me. I am what I desire myself to be; being Christ-like in every way.”
- Ask God to show you the things that needed to be done for the day. And what virtues you should give special attention to. Finish the day by thanking God for the work that is done and trusting Him to make all things right.
Dear Lord, thank you for revealing your dreams to me. Help me to purify that dream that I may not be deceived by my own fleshly desires. Give me a pure heart so that I may give my life as gift to make a better world. Change me, mold me and enable me to overcome the weakness of my mortal flesh. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.